Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The White Obsession

Most Asian women are OBSESSED with having white skin.  They wear huge poker-player visors (also known as welders masks); they purchase beauty creams that taut bleaching effects; they dip their heads in chalk.  OK, I'm lying about that last one.  But having white skin is a big thing here.  My theory is that whiter skin signifies higher social ranking - like, only the peasants who work in the fields have a tan.  And, let's be honest, staying out of the sun *is* good for your skin.

However, I thought all of this only applied to the face.

Nope.  Turns out, Asian women also want their underarms to be "visibly whiter".  Check out the Nivea "Extra Whitening" deodorant that my friend Laura came across at the drug store:


Um, call me crazy, but big ole white stripes under my arms is NOT the desired effect I'm looking for in a deodorant.   

3 comments:

  1. yep... approx' 3days after accidently bleaching the left side of my face off with some weird creme I assumed was some sort of highlighting moisturiser I made the mistake of purchasing this little gem. Worst idea ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh God, that is my nightmare! I feel like that could happen to me any day here. Hope you're all recovered!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never ceases to amaze me that they bleach everything here! The only thing I haven't seen yet is this: http://jezebel.com/5900928/your-vagina-isnt-just-too-big-too-floppy-and-too-hairyits-also-too-brown

    ReplyDelete