Here's how crazy it got:
1. We wished people "Merry Christmas" and they responded in kind. All the locals on Disco Bay, from the people behind the counter at our grocery story to the ferry operators to random men on the street -- cheerfully chirped "Merry Christmas" as I walked by on Christmas Eve day.
2. We ate a traditional Christmas Eve dinner. I got all Martha Stewart and made a big meal that consisted of beef burgundy, mashed potatoes, haricots verts and pumpkin pie (after I learned how to turn on the oven, that is).
3. Then we really shook things up and exchanged presents! I got a gorgeous red gown and Vin got a silver money clip. Victor got lots of a attention and an extra crack bone.
4. On Christmas Day we went to Ikea to get a chair for our office. Okay, so maybe this one actually is a little odd, but why not take advantage of the stores being open? It's a good-looking chair, right?!
5. Since we were so wackadoo with Christmas, we opted to be very traditional for New Year's Eve and celebrate with copious amounts of alcohol and friends. Why mess with a winning formula?! With equal parts pride and arrogance, I've reveled in being able to say that after only 3 weeks in town, we hosted our first HK dinner party...on New Year's Eve, no less! Even more impressive, the guestlist had people other than Vin and me on it. I can't really take all the credit; the expat community here is so inviting and inclusive that we've had an easy go of making friends.
I know you're dying to hear the menu (heavy sarcasm), so here you go: mushrooms stuffed with prosciutto and parm, toasted rosemary walnuts, salmon sushi, chips and salsa and sesame peanut noodles. I pondered deviled eggs, but feel that's more of a second date, er dinner party, move. :)
The guests included Elizabeth (Brit), Carl (Kiwi) and their dog Douglas as well as Justin (Aussie), Erin (Aussie) and their dog Pico. Both couples are married and live in our building. Justin just so happens to be Disco Bay's vet, too!
(L-R: Vin, Carl, Justin)
(L-R: Erin, Liz)
Me and Pico (I've never been into chihuahuas but this little man will melt your heart!)
Victor trying to make out with Justin. We hope this bodes well for his next vet visit (e.g. no screeching like a parrot!)
Vin and Carl watching ultimate fighting championship -- an appropriate way to ring in 2009, no?!
It was a great night...at least the parts I remember were.