Friday, May 27, 2011

What's in a Name?

Recently I organized a community event, which found me working closely with HK locals.  Lovely people, but the language barrier presented one of the highlights of the night. 

The person I worked most closely with was named Erica.  Halfway through the event Erica comes up to tell me that she has to leave and that her colleague will take her place for the remainder of the event:

Erica: I have to leave but my colleague Ennis here will help with anything that you need.

Not hearing Erica properly I turn to Ennis and say, Hi, I'm Jess.  Your name is 'eh-nis'?

Before Ennis can respond, Erica jumps in with, It's Ennis.  Sounds like anus.

Alrighty then...  The rest of the night I was so scared I was going to call the poor girl Anus.

No comments:

Post a Comment